Visit to McCarthy's Hometown...........Kenny Mayne

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Stocco gets a tryout with the PACK

University of Wisconsin quarterback John Stocco's long wait to enter the National Football League is over. Well, sort of.

On Tuesday, Stocco accepted an offer from the Green Bay Packers to attend their rookie orientation camp this weekend for a 72-hour tryout. It's better than nothing but still doesn't mean he will be offered a free-agent contract. That decision will be made by the Packers next week.

"It's definitely been real stressful," Stocco said Tuesday night. "But I'm just excited and looking forward to it."
Also in for weekend auditions will be tight end Joe Werner, a standout basketball player at UW-La Crosse who hasn't played football in eight years, and Corey White, a fullback from Alabama-Birmingham.

Stocco, 6 feet 1 inch and 203 pounds, was a three-year starter with a 29-7 record. He saved his finest season for 2006, when his passer rating of 97.0 improved his four-year mark to 88.9.

"I thought I'd be drafted and, if that didn't happen, I thought for sure soon after somebody would sign me," Stocco said. "On Sunday, I thought either Arizona or St. Louis would sign me. Then my agent got a call today from the Packers saying they wanted me to try out.

"It's been really stressful, but at the same time all I want is a shot. Guys like Chris Leak and (Tyler) Palko didn't get drafted, either. I think it's a good situation and I'm going to try to make the most of it."

Read more from Bob McGinn's article in today's Milwaukee Journal Sentinel here:

No comments: