Visit to McCarthy's Hometown...........Kenny Mayne

Monday, May 14, 2007

Favre: I never really wanted to be traded

So now after hearing over the weekend he wants out, Favre speaks out about "wanting to be traded". This is worse than the will he or won't he retire talk. I guess since he cleared up that early on this offseason we had to have something else to talk about. I'm glad the Favre spoke out about being frustrated......all us fans are with Ted Thompson. I'm thrilled to hear Favre publicly talk negatively about Thompson. So Favre wanted to leave, the point is he's not leaving this year, and most likely will not be playing next year. A HOF QB who's frustrated with the way the team is going, is not coming back for his 18th season, in my book. Here's the AP story on Favre saying he never wanted to be traded.

MILWAUKEE (AP) - Brett Favre acknowledged his anger over the team's unwillingness to pull off a trade for wide receiver Randy Moss, but denied Monday he ever really wanted the Green Bay Packers to trade him.

"I was frustrated a couple weeks back when Randy Moss was traded to New England," Favre said on the Packers' Web site. "I never wanted to be traded and I don't want to be traded. I want to be in Green Bay. I want to finish my career as a Packer."

After Favre spent Saturday venting about the Packers' front office in a handful of media interviews at his annual charity golf tournament, FOXSports.com reported Sunday that Favre's agent called Packers general manager Ted Thompson shortly after last month's NFL draft to request a trade.

That request was denied, according to the report, and Packers coach Mike McCarthy eventually calmed Favre down and got him to admit that he never really wanted to play elsewhere.

"Sometimes when I get frustrated, I let my emotions get the better of me," Favre said in the statement.

Favre, who told the team in February that he was returning for his 17th NFL season, reiterated his commitment to the Packers.

The Packers have a three-day mandatory minicamp beginning Friday, and it remains unclear whether Favre, who had surgery to remove bone spurs from his left ankle in late February, will attend.

"As I said in February when I announced that I was coming back, I am excited about the young talent on our team and the improvements we're going to see from one year to the next," Favre said. "I really enjoy the young guys I'm playing with.

"I'm working hard down in Mississippi right now, rehabbing, and I plan to be in the best shape of my life. I look forward to playing with this team and seeing what we can do. I think we can be pretty good."

No comments: