Visit to McCarthy's Hometown...........Kenny Mayne

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Brewers Lean on Heavy-Hearted Suppan

Blocking out the pall cast over the game by the death of St. Louis reliever Josh Hancock, Suppan pitched his first complete game in nearly four years to lead the Brewers to a 7-1 victory at Miller Park. In winning his fourth consecutive start, Suppan (4-2) scattered eight hits and walked only one, and that came when the home plate umpire lost count of the pitches.
"I'm not going to say it was easy," said Suppan, who pitched the past three seasons for the Cardinals. "I just go out and try to do my best. When (his mind wandered), I was able to get my focus back.
"I don't really know how to describe it because I'm not on that team anymore."
Suppan did not complete any of the 95 starts he made for St. Louis and had gone 110 games without finishing since shutting out the Cardinals, 3-0, on July 28, 2003, for Pittsburgh. Manager Ned Yost monitored Suppan's pitch count closely in the ninth, allowing him to throw 117 overall with the aid of an extra day of rest.

Read More from TOM HAUDRICOURT's article in today's Milwaukee Journal Sentiel here:

No comments: