Visit to McCarthy's Hometown...........Kenny Mayne

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

So is he.......or isn't he???........(going to say retired)


While reiterating that he's "happy" with his decision to retire, former Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre said in a recent interview that he might heed the call, should the team need him if starter Aaron Rodgers is injured......which given Rodgers history might not be too far off.

"It would be hard to pass up, I guess," Favre told the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun-Herald in an interview posted on its web site Tuesday. "Yeah, I can probably be up there doing that and playing, but again, I don't know. It's only speculating. I think the world of that team. I had a lot of fun, not only this year, but over my career. Those guys I played with this past year, a lot of young guys, a lot of fun. . . .

"It was a fun year. That was fun, throwing the ball around like we did. There's no reason to think that won't happen again. Aaron (Rodgers) has fallen into a great situation. And if that opportunity presented itself and they did call, it would be tempting. And I very well could be enticed to do it."

Favre's comments came during an interview with reporter and longtime friend Al Jones, who is writing a book about Favre that will be published by the newspaper. Favre did not speak about whether he would come back with another team.

Any possible comeback by Favre would likely be dependant on the amount of time he would have to get ready.

"It would be hard to go up there at 38," Favre said. "It was hard to stay in shape. I say that, I worked out and I worked out hard. Week in and week out, I was just drained. Finally, for the first time, I felt, not that 38 is old, but I looked around at practice and these guys are bouncing around. And I practiced every day and all the time people would ask me, 'God, how do you do it?' Inside I'm saying, 'I have no idea.' It's a struggle.

"But to think that if they called me in October and told me, 'Hey, we need you this week.' That would be hard. I'm sure mentally, I would be refreshed. I'd be away from it for a long time. But mentally vs. physically, the last thing I'd want to do is go up and it's 'Oh this is great,' and all that stuff, and me be excited, and then just flop. You just can't show up and play."

As to his failure to file his retirement papers with the league, Favre said there is no ulterior motive.

"To be honest with you, never having retired before, I didn't know you had to do that," Favre said. "The Packers had to call. At some point, you have to do it so you don't count toward the salary cap."

Favre also now realizes he could un-retire at any time.

"You can change your mind the next day," he said.

But, for now, Favre is content.

"I guess the best response would be, right now, no (I'm not coming back)," he said. "I'm happy with my decision. Just taking it one day at a time."

You think he's getting bored already??? Football is all Favre knows since he was a young boy. It's a big adjustment into "regular life", that we're all accustom to. And sounds like Favre's not enjoying it quite as much as he thought he would.

No comments: